- 06/2004-present: Physicist, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
- 04/2001-05/2004: Post-doctoral Researcher, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
- 11/1999-03/2001: Post-doctoral Researcher, Laboratory for Laser Energetics, Univ. of Rochester
- 05/1994-10/1999: Research Assistant, Plasma Science and Fusion Center, M.I.T.
- 02/1992-12/1993: Research Assistant, Russian Research Center "Kurchatov Institute", Moscow
Maxim Umansky is a theoretical and computational plasma physicst with interestes in tokamak edge physics, turbulence and transport in tokamak edge physics, turbulence and transport in fusion plasmas, computational physics. About 40 refereed publications.
M.V. Umansky, R.H. Bulmer, R.H. Cohen, T.D. Rognlien, D.D. Ryutov, "Analysis of geometric variations in high-power tokamak divertors", Nuclear. Fusion 49, 075005 (2009)
M.V. Umansky, R.H. Cohen, L.L. LoDestro, and X.Q. Xu, "Suite of Verification Test Problems for Edge Turbulence Simulations", Contributions to Plasma Physics 48 (1-3) 27-31 (2008)
M.V. Umansky "On ideal stability of cylindrical localized interchange modes", Contributions to Plasma Physics 47 (6) 447-450 (2007)
M.V. Umansky, R.H. Bulmer, D.N.Hill, et al., "Modeling of magnetic perturbations and confinement in SSPX spheromak" Plasma Phys. Control. Fusion 48, 235 (2006)
M.V. Umansky, M. S. Day, T. D. Rognlien, "On Numerical Solution Of Strongly Anisotropic Diffusion Equation On Misaligned Grids" Numerical Heat Transfer: Part B: Fundamentals, 47, 533, (2005).