- Research Physicist, Lawrence Livermore National Lab., 1975-present
- Post-doctoral Research Associate, Univ. Colorado, Boulder, CO, 1974-1975
- Post-doctoral Research Associate, Nat. Res. Council at NOAA, Boulder, CO, 1972-1974
- Acting Instructor, Stanford Univ., EE, 1972
Institutional and community leadership
- Deputy Assoc. Prog. Leader, MFE Theory/Comp., Fusion Eng. Sci. Prog., LLNL, 2007-pres.
- Edge Theory Coordinator, LLNL/FEP 1996-present
- Deputy Leader, DOE OFES BPO Boundary Topical Group (2006-present)
- Chair, DOE Edge Coordinating Committee (2004 - 2006)
- U.S. member, ITPA Pedestal Physics Group (2002 - present)
Thomas Rognlien is a theoretical and computational plasma physicist with general interests in plasma physics, fluid and kinetic theory, EM waves, nonlinear dynamics, and numerical simulation. Specific plasma physics experience: edge plasmas in fusion devices, RF heating and instabilities, turbulence, plasma processing, and ionospheric instabilities. He has more than 150 refereed publications and is an APS Fellow.