Synthesis and structural characterization of inorganic, polymeric, and composite materials for energy related applications. Current projects include the synthesis of Cu-Diamond composites as well as determining polymer aging and degradation mechanisms. I have extensive experience with the characterization of materials chemical structure, electronic structure, and surface/interface chemistry in composite systems using advanced spectroscopic techniques such as solid state NMR and synchrotron XPS.
Honors and Awards
- The Fletcher Jones Fellow for UC Santa Barbara (2009-2010)
- UC Santa Barbara Graduate Division Dean's Fellowship (2008 – 2009)
- UC Santa Barbara Department of Chemistry Graduate Student Fellowship (2005)
- UC Santa Cruz Senior Thesis in the Major Passed with Honors (2002)
- UC Santa Cruz Chancellor's Award for Outstanding Achievement (2002)
- UC Santa Cruz Natural Sciences Dean's Award for Excellence in Chemistry (2002)
Selected (Recent) Publications
Rosen, E.L., Gilmore, K., Sawvel, A.M., Hammack, A.T., Doris, S.E., Aloni, S., Altoe, V., Nordlund, D., Weng, T.-C., Sokaras, D., Cohen, B.E., Urban, J.J., Ogletree, D.F., Milliron,D.J., Prendergast, D., Helms, B.A., "Chemically Directing d-Block Heterometallics to Nanocrystal Surfaces as Molecular Beacons of Surface Structure."
Sharma, R., Sawvel, A.M., Barton, B., Dong, A., Buonsanti, R., Llordes, A., Schaible, E., Axnanda, S., Liu, Z., Urban, J.J., Nordlund, D., Kisielowski, C., Milliron, D.J., "Nanocrystal Superlattice Embedded Within an Inorganic Semiconducting Matrix by In-situ Ligand Exchange: Fabrication and Morphology."
Rosen, E.L., Sawvel, A.M., Milliron, D.J., Helms, B.A., "Influence of Surface Composition on Electronic Transport Through Naked Nanocrystal Networks."
Rosen, E.L., Buonsanti, R., Llordes, A., Sawvel, A.M., Milliron, D.J., Helms, B.A., "Exceptionally Mild Reactive Stripping of Native Ligands from Nanocrystal Surfaces using Meerwein's Salt."