Development of novel semi-empirical approaches for quantum mechanical simulations of chemical reactivity within condensed matter; Astrobiological synthesis of life-building compounds under extreme thermodynamic conditions; Modeling of laser-driven dynamic compression experiments related to high pressure-temperature materials properties.
Honors and Awards
- 2004 Outstanding Poster Presentation, Chemistry and Material Science Postdoc Symposium, LLNL, title: "
Simulations of Water under the Extreme Conditions of Planetary Interiors."
- 2005 Harold C. Graboske Award for Excellence in Postdoctoral Research, Chemistry and Material Science Directorate, LLNL
- 2009 Chemical Sciences Division SPOT Award, For Excellence in Publication, "Nitrogen-Rich Heterocycles as Reactivity Retardants in Shocked Insensitive Explosives",
J. Am. Chem. Soc., 131, 5483 (2009).
- 2009 Physical and Life Sciences Directorate Award, citation: "For contributions to understanding TATB reactions and conducting State-of-the-art first principles simulations".
- 2009 Physical and Life Sciences Directorate Award, For Excellence in Publication, "Catalytic Behavior of Dense Hot Water",
Nature Chemistry, 1, 57 (2009).
- 2011 Physical and Life Sciences Directorate Award, For Excellence in Publication, "Synthesis of Glycine-Containing Complexes in Impacts of Comets on Early Earth",
Nature Chemistry, 1, 57 (2010).
- 2013 Physical and Life Sciences Directorate Award, For Excellence in Publication, "Prebiotic Chemistry Within a Simple Impacting Icy Mixture",
Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 117, 5124 (2013).