Personal Background/Research Interests
I received a Masters degree in Materials Science and a PhD in Condensed Matter Physics from the Joseph Fourier University in Grenoble, France, where I explored energy transfer mechanisms in semiconductor nano-composite structures. I then moved to the United States to conduct postdoctoral research as a Lavoisier Fellow in the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry at the University of California in San Diego, where I focused on new concepts and materials for gas sensing, including porous Bragg reflectors and artificial electronic noses. I joined LLNL in 2001 as a Directorate Postdoctoral Researcher and was appointed as a Staff Scientist in 2002. I became a Group Leader for the Functional Materials Group in 2006 and a Deputy Division Leader for S&T for the Chemical Sciences Division in January 2010. I was appointed as the Deputy Division Leader at large for the Chemical Sciences Division in March 2012, which became the Nuclear and Chemical Sciences Division in 2014.
My research at LLNL has focused on functional materials and methods for chemical, biological, and radiation sensing as well as on materials compatibility and aging.
Selected (Recent) Publications
- S. Létant and J.C. Vial (1996), Photodissolution and photoluminescence quenching of porous silicon in HF, Journal of Applied Physics 80(12), 7018-7022.
- S. Létant and J.C. Vial (1997), Energy transfer in dye impregnated porous silicon, Journal of Applied Physics 82(1), 397-401.
- S. Létant and J.C.Vial (1998), A luminescence versus temperature study of fresh and oxidized porous silicon layers under different atmospheres, Journal of Applied Physics 84(2), 1041-1046.
- S. Létant and G. Fishman (1998), A model for energy transfer from porous silicon nanocrystallites to SiH surface vibrations at low temperature, Physical Review B, 58(23), 15344-15346.
- S. Setzu, P. Solsona, S. Létant, R. Romestain and J.C. Vial (1999), Microcavity effect on dye impregnated porous silicon samples, The European Physical Journal of Applied Physics 7, 59-63.
- J.A. Roger, M.G. Blanchin, B. Canut, V.S. Teodorescu, S. Létant and J.C. Vial (1999), Tin oxide growth in nanoporous silicon: an approach to efficient solid state electrode, Semiconductor Science and Technology 14, L29-L32.
- S. Setzu, S. Létant, P. Solsona, R. Romestain and J.C. Vial (1999), Improvement of the luminescence in p-type as-prepared or dye impregnated porous silicon microcavities, Journal of Luminescence 80, 129-132.
- S. Létant and M.J. Sailor (2000), Detection of HF gas with a porous silicon interferometer, Advanced Materials, 12(5), 355-359.
- H. Sohn, S. Létant, M.J. Sailor, and W.C. Trogler (2000), Detection of fluorophosphonate chemical warfare agents by catalytic hydrolysis with a porous silicon interferometer, Journal of the American Chemical Society 122, 5399-5400.
Press Releases: on articles (8) and (9):
– News of the week, by Celia Henry: Porous silicon sensor detects chemical warfare agents (June 12th, 2000), Chemical and Engineering News 78(24), p.12.
– Photonics Spectra Magazine, By Daniel Burgess: Simple sensor detects nerve gas (December 2000).
- S.E. Létant, S. Content, T.T. Tan, F. Zenhausern, and M.J. Sailor (2000), Integration of porous silicon chips in an electronic artificial nose, Sensors and Actuators B 69, 193-198.
- S.E. Létant and M.J. Sailor (2001), Molecular identification by time resolved interferometry in a porous silicon film, Advanced Materials 13(5), 355-338.
- B.R. Hart, S.E. Létant, S.R. Kane, M. Hadi, S.J. Shields, and J.G. Reynolds (2003), New method for attachment of biomolecules to porous silicon, Chemical Communications 3, 322-323.
- S.E. Létant, B. R. Hart, T. van Buuren and L. J. Terminello (2003), Functionalized silicon membranes for bio-organisms capture, Nature Materials, 2, 391-395.
- S.E. Létant, B.R. Hart, S.R. Kane, M. Hadi, S.J. Shields, and J.G. Reynolds (2004), Enzyme immobilization on porous silicon surfaces, Advanced Materials 16(8), 689-693. Front Cover.
- S.E. Létant, A.W. van Buuren and L.J. Terminello (2004), Nanochannel arrays on silicon platforms by electrochemistry, Nano Letters 4(9), 1705-1707.
- S.E. Létant, S.R. Kane, B.R. Hart, M. Hadi, T.C. Cheng, V.P. Rastogi and J.G. Reynolds (2005), Hydrolysis of acetylcholinesterase inhibitors - organophosphorus acid anhydrolase enzyme immobilization on photoluminescent porous silicon platforms, Chemical Communications 7, 851-853.
- S.E. Létant (2005), Functionalized silicon membranes for filtration applications, SPIE E-Newsletters, invited technical article, September issue.
- J. Nilsson, J. R. I. Lee, T. V. Ratto and S. E. Létant (2006), Localized functionalization of single nanopores, Advanced Materials 18, 427-431. Front cover.
Press release: 'DNA attached to single pores for biodetection', Materials Today 9(4), 15 (2006).
- S. E. Létant and T.-F. Wang (2006), Study of porous glass doped with quantum dots or laser dyes under alpha irradiation, Applied Physics Letters 88, 103110-103113.
Selected for publication in the Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science and Technology (American Physical Society) 13 (11).
Press release: 'Quantum dots may allow new radiation detectors', Photonics Spectra 40(5), 118 (2006).
- S. E. Létant, C. Schaldach, M. Johnson, A. Sawvel, W. Bourcier and W. D. Wilson (2006), Pore conductivity control at the hundred nanometer scale: an experimental and theoretical study, Small 12, 1504-1510.
- S. E. Létant and T.-F. Wang (2006), Semiconductor quantum dot scintillation under gamma-ray irradiation, Nano Letters 6, 2877-2880.
- J. Nilsson, W. Bourcier, J. R. I. Lee, and S. E. Létant (2007), Fouling study of silicon oxide pores in tap water, Materials Letters 61, 2247-2250.
- S. E. Létant, J. I. Ortiz, L. Tammero, J. M. Birch, D. W. Derlet, S. Cohen, D. Manning, and M. T. McBride (2007), A multiplexed reverse transcriptase PCR assay for identification of viral respiratory pathogens at point-of-care without extraction, Journal of Clinical Microbiology 45, 3498-3505.
- S. E. Létant, J. Herberg, L. Dinh, R. S. Maxwell, R. L. Simpson, and A. P. Saab (2007), Structure and catalytic activity of POSS-stabilized Pd nanoparticles, Catalysis Communications 8, 2137-2142.
- D. J. Sirbuly, S. E. Létant, and T. V. Ratto, Hydrogen sensing with subwavelength optical waveguides via porous silsesquioxane-palladium nanocomposites (2008), Advanced Materials 20, 4724-4727.
Press release: 'Preventing a blow', Nature Materials 7, 764 (2008).