PLS scientists work to mitigate the risks associated with the proliferation of materials, technologies, and expertise regarding weapons of mass destruction:
- A team led by PLS scientists currently operates one of only two laboratories in the US certified by the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) for the analysis of alleged proliferation of chemical agents in violation of the Chemical Weapons Convention, the Forensic Science Center (FSC).
- A team led by PLS scientists has been working to develop new radiation detection materials. These efforts have won multiple R&D 100 awards over the last 10 years
- PLS scientists are developing new, forward-deployed detection tools for rapid identification and discrimination of potentially dangerous materials or processes.
- PLS scientists are pioneering the coordination of seismic data with advanced seismic models in order to improve the nation's ability to detect and locate nuclear explosions anywhere in the world.
- Technical experts from PLS assist the US Government in interagency and international treaty negotiations.